When I first started my fitness journey, I had no idea what I was doing. I would read online what people did to get "6 pack abs" and I did it. I didn't really expect anything to come out of it. I was just doing it for the heck of it.
There are some things that I believed when I first started my journey that I look back at now and cringe. I'm here to tell you now, what you should expect, and what I wish I knew when I started.
1. It ain't gonna take a month. Hell, it ain't gonna take 6 months. It's gonna take a long time, and you need to be patient, Jess.
2. Don't compare yourself day-to-day. You're not going to notice a difference if you look in the mirror everyday. Don't be discouraged if you think your not progressing. You are.
3. If you're not having a good training session, or you had a bad one, don't beat yourself up, girl! That's life. Everyone has bad sessions. Get over it, have some food, go to bed, and wake up the next morning ready to smash an amazing gym session!!
4. Not everyone is going to support you. Believe it, or not. You would think everyone would be so proud and happy of your decision to make a change and make healthier choices, but, some people, for some reason, have a problem with it, and they are going to say negative things, and they are going to put you down, but, remember, they are probably going through something, and their opinion doesn't matter. You are making a healthy lifestyle change. You feel great. You look even better. Keep slaying, boo!
5. DON'T GET OBSESSED. Please, dear God. Do not get obsessed. It's not worth freaking out. It's not worth training to complete exhaustion. It's not worth not eating. And it sure as hell isn't worth risking your health. It's great that you want to change your life and become healthier, and it's great that you want to feel comfortable in your own skin, but your health is more important. Don't listen to those voices in your head telling you that you aren't worthy. YOU ARE! Keep pushing. Everything will get better! And, I promise, you will go back to eating ice cream again.
6. Last, but certainly not least, you're body knows best. Not everything you see online is true. Not everything everyone else does will work for you. Don't waste your time on stupid diets like low carb, low fat, intermittent fasting, and/or smoothie cleanses. Yeah, maybe it works for other people, but, if you feel drained, and if you feel unhappy, it's not right for you. Don't believe everything you see!
Those are some of the things I wish I knew and I wish I could tell myself. Well, actually, I'm happy that I didn't know these things, because I learnt so much. As awful as it sounds, I'm happy I struggled. Because now I know what works for me, and I know how to live a healthy, happy, food-filled life! I hope this helps some of you guys. Remember, you can do it! You are the deciding factor of how you want to live your life. It's not easy, but, it's SO worth it!